Every Saturday morning at our prayer space at 375 Somerset St. W, a team of dedicated volunteers comes together to make between 50-100 lunch bags for distribution to the hungry on the streets of Centretown in Ottawa.
We need your help to continue this work! Please email email@example.com to donate to this important initiative. Or cover some of the programs costs! The program costs around $300 a week.
“The righteous are those who feed the poor, the orphan and the captive for the love of God, saying: ‘We feed you for the sake of God Alone; we seek from you neither reward nor thanks.’” (Quran, 76:8-9)
Fresh cooked veggies on the side of each dish.
Halal chicken or beef to offer our clients a good source of protein.
Cool Juice or water to wash down the savory meal.
For our clients with a sweet tooth. No harm in having a sugary treat after a meal!
A juicy source of essential vitamins and minerals.
CARE & LOVE
We take our time to get to know our clients, offer them our ears. Sometimes that’s worth more than the food.
- Renew your intentions before participating.
- Uphold the standard of excellence (Ihsan) that we as muslims are obligated to maintain.
- Get the supplies from the Independent across the street: go to the cash and ask for the Islam Care centre order (bananas, juice).
- Make sure not to leave the Independent without the receipt.
- Slide all receipts underneath the office door.
- Roll out one picnic rug in the middle of the main room (perpendicular to the windows), and one near the windows (parallel to the windows).
- Always cover the tables with garbage bags (rip open).
- Always use gloves when handling the food.
- If a supply runs out, buy some at Independent and email a receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If there is a surplus of juice boxes or bananas, take them with you to the shelters and hand them out respectably.
- Each lunch bag should have 1 banana, 1 juice box, 1 granola bar, 1 utensil packet and 1 plate.
- Clean the tables with water and paper towels if there is a mess.
- Throw the garbage and extra boxes in the dumpsters beside the ICC building.
- Head to the first stop (Salvation Army 171 George St,) to hand out approximately half the load.
- Try to offer the clients 1 lunch bag, but if they request more, do not turn them down.
- Be friendly!! Ask the clients how their day is going and don’t be shy to have a conversation – they may appreciate that more than the food!
- For your safety, do not interact with intoxicated clients.
- Do not hand food inside the shelter. If you are looking for clients, request the shelter staff to make an announcement about the lunch bag distribution.
- Head to the second stop (Shepherds of Good Hope 233 Murray St,).
- You may park inside the shelter, BUT DO NOT HAND OUT FOOD ON SHELTER PROPERTY. Instead, hand them out on the sidewalk.
- If there is a surplus of lunch bags, give it to the shelter’s kitchen inside.